Monday, September 19, 2011

New paintings of Gavin and Lucah

I am working on these two new paintings, using the techniques that I am learning from Soon right now.  Very different than the Ted Nuttall paintings I have done of these two snapshots.  Those are in earlier posts.  I really like both methods.   Ted's method has a more "artistic" style while Soon's is more realistic. 

Both of these are on Arches 300# cold press paper.  I used masking fluid on areas where I wanted to save the whites.  I sometimes just paint around those areas to save the white of the paper but don't always succeed.  Hence the masking this time around.


1 comment:

  1. hi, dena. i thought that i had left a comment last week but i must have messed something up. these portraits are coming along really nicely. this style certainly seems different from ted n.'s. i will be interested in the next steps. are there highlights in the eyes of the topmost painting that are obscured by the masking? have you removed the making yet in either one? i am also curious to see what you are going to do in the background, if anything. looking forward to the next steps and postings. thanks.

    ReplyDelete