Monday, September 26, 2011

Boots



I took a picture of a cowboy with these interesting boots and spurs on his feet back in May when I attended an event in the Fort Worth stockyard area.  Lots of folks in costume as well as the cowboys who drive the Fort Worth herd.  The Fort Worth herd is a herd of longhorn cattle and they are driven down the main thoroughfare of the area daily.  It is a very popular tourist attraction and basically I really love the stockyard area overall. 

While snapping pictures of interesting cowboys in their very authentic dress, one pointed out his friend's boots and spurs.  I agreed that they were unusual and snapped a few pictures of them from different angles.  I chose this one to start and drew it onto 300# Arches cold pressed paper a couple months ago.  Then I couldn't decide how to start or what I wanted to end up with so it just sat on a shelf until yesterday.  I liberally used masking on the metal parts of the spurs in order to save the highlights.  I know I don't want just a pair of brown boots, so I have added some washes that include plum and blue shades along with the brown.  I have also started adding a few details, working slowly so that I don't mess it up.  I often get in too much of a hurry and add other layers or details too soon.  We all know how that turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment