Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Progress on Brazos

I'm really pleased with how this is looking.  I took the masking off of the hair against his hat and did a light wash of a lighter version of the hat.  I think it looks pretty good.  First time I have tried that!  I have also done some work on his clothes.  This is on Arches 140# stretched cold pressed paper.  My intention was to do some of the pattern in his scarf but I have changed my mind and erased the pencil drawings I did of those designs.  Before I attempt something that detailed on a real painting I think I will do some practicing on scrap paper to see the results. 

1 comment:

  1. well, you should be pleased! at each step this keeps getting better. the eyes really carry the painting so far and you did a wonderful job with them. i was worried about the masking for the hair thinking the result would be too stark and crisp, but your over-wash took care of that. good idea. your decision to leave off the pattern on the bandanna, i think, was the right one. is it a painting of a bandanna or a man? i wonder about the hard edge where his gray hat meets his gray-white hair in shadow on his *left* side. it might be a good place to soften a bit. this might be arguable, though. awaiting the next step in this portrait!

    ReplyDelete