Sunday, October 28, 2012

Nuttall workshop

I had the great pleasure of participating in my second watercolor workshop with Ted Nuttall this past week.  My goal for this workshop was to re-focus my energies on getting back to his techniques for my work.  I have discovered that it is my favorite style and that when I stray and start incorporating other styles, I become frustrated and lose my enthusiasm.  Hence, my sporadic posting.

Ted is a wonderful teacher and artist- so generous with himself and his knowledge, while at the same time not disparaging of other styles.  So I carefully watched and listened, drinking in all that I could in the five days and wondering how I could have forgotten so much!!!  LOL!!!


Above are two shots from the workshop - Ted lecturing and Ted painting.  If you are interested, you can see his work at www.tednuttall.com

I went to the workshop with two drawings prepared for painting for the week.  The one below is the one I chose to begin first.  The photo is of my dad taken probably in the 1930's.  I like this expression on his face and it is ingrained in my memory as the "look" I saw when he was not particularly pleased with something or was in deep thought.  He was a very intelligent man and extremely well-read. 







Ted does not rush your progress and instead urges time and again to SLOW DOWN!!!!  (Patience has never been my strong suit!)  As I said, though, I listened carefully and forced myself to take my time.  In my next post I will show the progress on this painting and also the second one that I began on Friday of husband, Jim.

No comments:

Post a Comment